After 8 years as president of the Green IT Special Interest Group of the Swiss Informatics Society, Niklaus Meyer has decided to step down and to hand over the responsibility to Andreas Schläpfer.
Andreas has been successfully running the Green IT Focus Workshops in the last few months and is in the process of organizing the next phase, based on the results of these workshops. Andreas is well grounded in the sustainability topics, is leading the “Energie-Modell” Zürich and other similar organizations and is one of the official workshop moderators in the Kanton St. Gallen. He will inform the members in due time about the next steps in the Green IT SIG development.
Klaus will continue to support Andreas in the transition period and for the time being, he will be responsible for keeping in touch with to the Green IT Global team. Andreas is scheduled to be officially elected at the Green IT yearly assembly early next year and lead the Green IT SIG up to that point as its interim president.
Here a few of the results that GreenIT has achieved in the last few years under the presidency of Klaus Meyer.
– Green IT group in Switzerland, supported by 5 major companies and 40 individual members
– Web site with relevant news and publications about the Green IT developments in Switzerland and the world
– Online assessment for green data centers being integrated into the current data center campaign of EnergieSchweiz, a unit of the Swiss Federal Office of Energy
– Several Green IT checklists and actions for large and small enterprises and households on the website
– Co-Initiator and member of the Green IT Global organization
– Organizer and speaker at many conferences such as CeBIT, ICT4S, DACH+ Energy Informatics, Swiss Green Economy Symposium, Swiss Informatics Society, Green Day at International Software Engineering Conference, etc.
– Development of Green IT Certificate of Advanced Study at University of Lucerne
– Development of a Green IT 2.0 strategy
Green IT solutions will be at the source of many of the developments to eliminate the destructive fossil energy impact on our environment
and we at SI are very pleased that Andreas accepted the responsibility to drive these solutions forward.
SI and its board members would like to thank Klaus for his years of leadership in Green IT and we welcome Andreas and give him all your support.